Re: [opensuse-buildservice] One common community repository in BuildService?
  • From: Michal Marek <mmarek@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 12:03:00 +0100
Adrian Schröter wrote:
But having only project would have several dis advatanges:

* All needs to use same project setup config, means building for the same
base distributions and using same package project config.

* write access to that project needs to be either more strict and less open
than atm, or if you keep it open, no one can really trust this repo and you
should not add it. Keep in mind that such a repo would be a perfect target
for someone who wants to steal your credit cards numbers for example, what
would be really easy than (no, I will not describe how;).

* several projects do conflict even at build time. We had the problem in the
past that submissions to the old "supplementary" to fix A destroed B.
(It was really hard for me sometimes to keep KDE working in that and often
enough even more low level stuff like apache got crashed but other peoples
submissions. And at that time only less than 10 people have commited to
that. Imagine what happens with write access to more than 100 people)

* More people with write access will keep the project building, that means in
worst case it will get never get released to the ftp server.

* With one large repo, it's 'either all or nothing' for the end user.
E.g. imagine a web developer who wants the latest LAMP stack, but
wants KDE to stay as is, so that his non-techie girlfriend doesn't
get scared each time she uses the computer. I'd say the current
setup suits him better in this case.

Of course, with users who subscribe 100+ buildservice repos, there's
surely room for improvement ;)

Michal