Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Re: osc sources
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 13:25:25 +0100
On Wednesday 23 January 2008 12:27:21 wrote Dr. Peter Poeml:
On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 12:00:07PM +0100, Adrian Schröter wrote:
On Wednesday 23 January 2008 11:45:22 wrote Dr. Peter Poeml:
On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 10:58:09AM +0100, Dominique Leuenberger wrote:
Unfortunately, I have no good idea where to make it available,
without forgetting to manually re-create it... ;(

Well best would probably be if buildservice would export also
sources in similar location where binaries are exported.

That would be something to suggest on
buildservice-opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx I think other people have been
thinking the same. However it might be difficult for space reasons.

Although I don't know why the sources (which so far require a login)
couldn't be publically visible. Anyone?

WEll, the src.rpms are exported as far as I can tell. Just look for
example:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/games:/arcade/openSUSE_Fact
ory/ src/

or were you looking for something different?

Something different -- the question was about the tarball not packed
inside a source rpm.

Actually, I dream of an "source.opensuse.org" org, where everbody can
browse / download sources, maybe even build logs without to login.

It's all already there, there is just a "login" in front of it.

maybe also with svn/cvs/webdav/... interface. If we would have this, we
could drop building src.rpms by default and use the mirror space for
something different ...

A simple HTTP interface would do, so that people can look at the
sources, see what's there, pull tarballs, whatever.

-- without needing to log in.

I guess this is not too hard to implement, esp. given our existing rails
infrastructure. If anyone wants to work on this, we can support you
developing it and also with direct access to the web server ...

No, it doesn't sound hard.

Maybe I forgot why we do _not_ provide read-only access to everybody...
if there was a reason, what was it?

bandwidth and server load ....

However, look at services like websvn.kde.org . This kind of service is still
used of people with svn access, simply because the usecase is different. So I
_think_ it makes sense also to have an interface adapted for this read-only /
browsing case. And than we can easily put it on another host to give most of
our bandwidth to active people.