Re: [opensuse-buildservice] links from games:libs to openSUSE:Factory
  • From: Vladimir Nadvornik <nadvornik@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 17:40:57 +0100
On středa 12 prosinec 2007, Dominique Leuenberger wrote:
Hello,

I've seen that many libraries from games:libs are actually links to the
equivalent of openSUSE:Factory.

As this helps us always having the latest of the lib available in
games:libs, it also imposes a big risk of instability on older products. So
for the moment, SDL_ttf for example does not build for older Distros (SUSE
10.0 for example) because of missing BuildRequires.

Of course they can all be adjusted in the Project-Config of SUSE:10.0. But
is this what we want? Do we want to offer games:* in a 'stable and tested'
way or do we want to offer whatever bleeding edge we get in Factory?

I'm actually in favour of the stable part. The ones that want factory, will
likely go for installing factory.

Comments are highly appreciated.

Dominique

Maybe the games:* are a special case because many games are not in the
openSUSE distribution at all, but in general I would expect OBS projects
to be more bleeding edge than say, 10.3.
I typically use OBS packages when I am not happy with the version included
in the regular distribution and in this case I am aware that the package got
less testing compared to distribution packages.
Installing complete Factory is not so easy because it can make unstable whole
system, not only several hand-picked packages.

Linking packages to Factory has several advantages:
- the packages are kept up-to-date with minimal effort
- possible bugs can be reported against Factory and thus will get more
attention.

Vladimir