Re: [opensuse-buildservice] How to build KMP's against latest 10.3 update kernel?
  • From: Susanne Oberhauser <froh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 12 Dec 2007 18:48:48 +0100
Donavan Pantke <avatar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

I agree. We need to figure out how to support driver package
maintainers well inside the build service. This is especially true
for SLE, where service packs also make things complicated.

Are there any elegant solutions to this problem?

I haven't had time to do it yet however this is what I will explore in
January:

I import repositories for each kernel update (so you have them all as
build targets).

I then host the driver package version as individual packages in an
umbrella project for this package, like this (I'll motivate later on
why):

project: some-driver
package: some-driver-v1.2.3 (tested for chipset rev X)
package: some-driver-v1.3.4 (tested for chipset rev Y)
package: some-driver-v1.4.2 (tested for chipset rev Z)

Then I use some code like this to automatically build all these
packages for all the target kernels:

https://forgesvn1.novell.com/svn/opensuse/trunk/buildservice/src/clientlib/python/incubator/incubator.py
(I intend to give this a tad more testing at the beginning of the new
year)

Then I aggregate the exact packages I need for some chipset revision
or for some product into a project for that product:

project: some cool card (has chipset rev Y)
aggregates: cool-card-driver-kit
from: some-driver-v1.3.4

If the driver turns out to be broken for this hardware, the
some-driver project gets a new pacakge:

project: some-driver
package: some-driver-v1.2.3 (tested for chipset rev X)
package: some-driver-v1.3.4 (tested for chipset rev Y)
package: some-driver-v1.4.2 (tested for chipset rev Z)
package: some-driver-v1.4.7 (tested for chipset rev AA, updated for Y)

And the some cool card project is updated to now aggregate the new
driver:

project: some cool card (has chipset rev Y)
aggregates: cool-card-driver-kit
from: some-driver-v1.4.7

That's the rough idea, I've got to rush but I wanted to reply already :)

Which driver packages do you maintain?

S.

--
Susanne Oberhauser +49-911-74053-574 SUSE -- a Novell Business
OPS Engineering Maxfeldstraße 5