Re: [opensuse-buildservice] How to build KMP's against latest 10.3 update kernel?
  • From: Donavan Pantke <avatar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 23:19:26 -0500
On Tuesday 11 December 2007 10:16:02 pm Marcus Meissner wrote:
On Tue, Dec 11, 2007 at 09:01:04PM -0500, Donavan Pantke wrote:
On Friday 07 December 2007 07:28:36 am Christof Hanke wrote:
Marcus Meissner wrote:
On Fri, Dec 07, 2007 at 01:32:24PM +0200, Christof Hanke wrote:

The Update repository should have our latest kernel update too. If
not, ask Adrian.

Well, yes, but I'm not interested in updated kernels only but past
kernels also.

I agree. We need to figure out how to support driver package maintainers
well inside the build service. This is especially true for SLE, where
service packs also make things complicated.

Are there any elegant solutions to this problem?

I do not see why you would want to build drivers against the older kernels
(of the same distribution) with security problems.

The problem lies with organizations that have tighter change control
mechanisms. In these cases, someone may choose to skip over a particular
update, either waiting for a good time, or deciding that the security issues
addressed aren't worth the expense to do an update (especially since kernel
updates require reboots). If someone needs to do a driver update, they would
have to perform a manual rebuild if the drivers rebuilt against a newer
kernel. Note that rebuilds for other packages, downstream packages won't
fundamentally break unless it's a huge problem, in which case people have a
big incentive to update. However, kernel updates can introduce
incompatibilities at a much finer grain.

I think the build service could help in these situations, or is it too big a
deal for the build service to support?

Thanks!
Donavan

Ciao, Marcus