Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Want to build
  • From: "Vaibhav Kaushal" <vaibhavkaushal123@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 20:51:19 +0530
Hi,

Thanks a lot for showing some light on what to do. Can you tell me the
HTTP link from where I could join in the team?

On Dec 10, 2007 7:13 PM, Dr. Peter Poeml <poeml@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

On Sat, Dec 08, 2007 at 03:48:33 +0530, Vaibhav Kaushal wrote:
I am a newbie in Linux but have learn things slowly. I want to be a
part of the development team so that I can learn more about
programming Linux.
I am good at basic programming skills. But am not that good when it
comes to programming under Linux. Still I think I am good enough to
learn things. I want to start with something which is simple and then
move on to more complex things. Where should I start? Can someone tell
me what to do?

Perhaps the best I can do :-) is inviting you to join the openSUSE
buildservice development, which is looking forward to contribution.
There is a number of interesting projects constituting the buildservice,
like the commandline client (written in Python), the backend (written in
Perl), the API and web frontend (written in Ruby), and a download
infrastructure (an Apache module written in C). There is also a wealth
of tools and glue code around all these different components. It is a
very interesting landscape to work with and many things to do, much is
still in the "idea" state, rewarding to work with.

A good starting point often is to tackle some small thing which annoys
you, "scatching your own itch". Thus, tell us what annoys you in the
buildservice, discuss it here and make suggestions, send a patch, or ask
for help in creating a patch. Your committed time, in whatever way, will
be appreciated!

As an example for a concrete list of things to do for our commandline
client "osc", have a look here:
https://forgesvn1.novell.com/svn/opensuse/trunk/buildservice/src/clientlib/python/osc/TODO

Thanks,
Peter

SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
Research & Development

--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand
binary ... and those who don't!