Re: [opensuse-buildservice] OSC changing the metadata format on update
  • From: Jan Blunck <jblunck@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 16:15:32 +0100
On Wed, Nov 14, Dr. Peter Poeml wrote:

Regarding a fix -- a look into osc/core.py check_store_version() shows
that there was never a need to actually add upgrade logic:

if v != __version__:
if v in ['0.2', '0.3', '0.4', '0.5', '0.6', '0.7', '0.8', '0.9',
'0.95', '0.96', '0.97', '0.98']:
# version is fine, no migration needed
f = open(versionfile, 'w')
f.write(__version__ + '\n')
f.close()
return

So far, the client simply stored the version number to denote that it
has touched the working copy.

I'd suggest that we introduce a new version number x.y for the working
copy, with x incremented for backwards incompatible changes and y
incremented for smaller changes. We can set it to 1.0 then now.

From a brief look at the metadata I realized that it is all written in
XML. Why don't we make use of that fact? Creating a schema that is backwards
and forward compatible?