Re: [opensuse-buildservice] download counters
  • From: "Dr. Peter Poeml" <poeml@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 19:55:25 +0100
Hi,

On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 03:01:55PM +0100, Rauch Christian wrote:
is it possible to know how many downloads have a repository, or a
single package? thanks

If you can convince all mirror admins to give you their log files
and you analyze them, then it would be possible. :)

So I don't think, this will happen.

Many (most?) of the request are handled by the download.o.o redirector
however, so it should be possible to get some figures.

I formyself do not use download.o.o., I rsync from another server, what
I need. So you will never see these downloads and on how many machines
I installed which packages. I think, that a huge amount of admins
maintaining a few machines do the same.

Huge? What is huge?

I'm pretty sure the majority of downloads does happen via
download.opensuse.org. But it doesn't really matter IMO, unless you
would want to count exact absolute numbers. But why would you wants
that?

The great thing about the download counters is that developers can get
insight in the popularity of specific parts of their efforts for which
relative numbers are sufficient.

Or what do you think?

Peter

SUSE LINUX Products GmbH