Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Re: How secure is openSUSE build service?
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 11:46:09 +0100
Finally found:
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-project/2007-09/msg00074.html

Hey thanks! This has been a great read. I noticed a few things:

-openSUSE core has far more packages than I thought (6412). This is
roughly the same as PCLinuxOS offers. Only PCLinuxOS apparently offers a
beter package selection since there is no need to look outside the
standard repository.

In other words I do think that an reevaluation of the core packages
could greatly enhance openSUSE functionality. Why not put libxine on the
openSUSE servers (not on the cd) and let user decide themselves if they
are legally entitled in using it? There is nothing wrong with that.

You mean a full enabled libxine ? This will not happen on a novell hosted
server, because it would make us liable. (and this is not only true for us
based servers, there are also example of lawsuites in europe against europe
companies which lost their lawsuite when providing codecs in their products)

-However I do feel that the real problem is that Novell keeps acces to
the core packages to themselves. I think it would be far better to setup
a structure to attract developers from the community (we have enough
quality packagers) and to let them maintain (maybe with the aid of
Novell devs) the openSUSE core packages. Ideally this would blend the
Packman repository with the openSUSE core packages.

What is the best way to propose this to Novell? Is a bugreport the best
way? Or maybe an e-mail?

You can see in our roadmap that we plan to make it more easy to participate in
the factory packages early next year. And hopefully also building the Factory
distribution within the build service.

However, this will not help to add packages like mplayer or full enabled xine
to the distro.

bye
adrian