Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Re: How secure is openSUSE build service?
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 20:08:58 -0500
On Friday 02 November 2007 06:08:36 am Aniruddha wrote:
[...]
Why not put libxine on the
openSUSE servers (not on the cd) and let user decide themselves if they
are legally entitled in using it? There is nothing wrong with that.

In US even making it easy is not permitted.
I remember case where company offered DVD decoding software letting users to
decide, and lost the case.
The other is more prominent example is Napster. Their defense was that users
should know what is allowed and what not.

-However I do feel that the real problem is that Novell keeps acces to
the core packages to themselves.

This is not the case as long as one has access to sources.
It is possible to start own SVN with that sources and develop in any thinkable
direction. The only limitation are registered trademarks and logos, but that
is documented:
http://en.opensuse.org/Debranding
and it has a tool:
http://en.opensuse.org/Rembrand

I think it would be far better to setup
a structure to attract developers from the community (we have enough
quality packagers) and to let them maintain (maybe with the aid of
Novell devs) the openSUSE core packages. Ideally this would blend the
Packman repository with the openSUSE core packages.

It will with growth of build service, and change in laws.

What is the best way to propose this to Novell? Is a bugreport the best
way? Or maybe an e-mail?

You can do that in project mail list.
They probably look for the sponsor.

--