Re: [opensuse-buildservice] offline build support (was: New openSUSE Buildservice Roadmap)
  • From: Michael Wolf <maw@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 17:42:38 -0500
On Fri, 2007-26-10 at 14:24 -0500, Michael Wolf wrote:
On Tue, 2007-23-10 at 13:46 +0200, Dr. Peter Poeml wrote:
On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 02:30:47PM -0500, Michael Wolf wrote:
Also, is any sort of offline support in the works? --no-init helps in
this regard, but you still need to phone home for every build, which is
bad for those of us with slow network connections, and worse when the
network goes out. I don't want this nearly as badly as I want to use
distributed revision control, though.

Adding an offline mode to osc build shouldn't be a problem. It just
needs a commandline switch, and a way to store the last retrieved
buildinfo and buildconfig in order to use it again. If someone has an
idea how to implement this, it would be very welcome.

No, it doesn't sound hard, although I haven't had a chance to give it a
go yet.

I made a first cut at a patch to do this. It isn't true offline support
by any means -- it's more like "make osc go a little faster by caching
more things" support. :)

Making osc build work given only a .spec file, sources and patches, and
a local repository of build requirements would be more difficult. It
would also be more awesome.

Anyway, the patch adds:

+ @cmdln.option('--dont-use-cached-buildinfo', action='store_true',
+ help="Don't use cached buildinfo even if it exists")
+ @cmdln.option('--offline', action='store_true',
+ help="Don't phone home for building; instead use
cached data
if it exists")

It's pretty flaky in a few places but it seems to work ok. In my next
version of the patch, I'll probably roll those two command line flags
into one, probably something along the lines of --use-cached-buildinfo,
with arguments of "always", "never", and "default".

The patch is already included in home:maw/osc.