Re: [opensuse-buildservice] distributed SCM (was: New openSUSE Buildservice Roadmap)
  • From: Michael Wolf <maw@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 14:21:26 -0500
On Fri, 2007-26-10 at 14:13 +0200, Dr. Peter Poeml wrote:
On Fri, Oct 26, 2007 at 10:38:40AM +0200, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
On Thursday 25 October 2007, Dr. Peter Poeml wrote:

BTW, I would find it a interesting exercise to look at hg (rather than
git) in order to find out whether it can be married with osc somehow, or
vice versa. But integration with git would also be possible I guess.

Because of what reasons do you think would be hg more suitable for being
used
in the context of osc, only because it's also written in Python or are
there
other reasons as well?

1) for integration reasons -- there should be some potential, although
I haven't looked into it. hg and osc are both pretty modular I guess,
and at least osc can be imported as a python module, so maybe it is
possible to add "osc" commands to hg -- or make osc use native hg
storage.

I'd be very happy if we could use hg. Its ui seems sane, etc. For
similar reasons (ease of use, correctness, written in python, etc), I'd
also be happy if you chose bzr.

2) hg has a single and (supposedly) maintainable codebase, whereas git
started out as a myriad of independent tools (that may be a thing of
the past, I don't know). Calling external tools all the time and parsing
their output gets boring pretty quickly... especially if the tools are
not stabilized and are still changed all the time, as seems to happen
with git.

In spite of whatever impressions I may have given earlier, I'm no fan of
git, even if I do think it'd be an advance over the svn-like parts of
osc.