Re: [opensuse-buildservice] How to make a debian package ?
  • From: David Cournapeau <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 17:30:00 +0900
David Cournapeau wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to see how to build packages for both rpm and deb based distribution: I am familiar with deb packaging (I am a debian and the ubuntu user for more than 5 years), but do not know much about rpm. I managed to get opensuse build system to make rpm packages for openSuse 10.2 and Fedora 6 (I am using GNU hello as a simple software to package), but I don't see how to build deb package: for now, the build system produces rpm for debian etch and ubuntu, which is not really what I want.
As osc is itself built with the build system, I thought I could take a look at the project to see how both deb and rpm are built, but the file organization is totally different than the debian Policy, and I am bit lost. I found this http://en.opensuse.org/Build_Service/Deb_builds, which explains the different naming convention, but does not tell how to build debian packages.
Is there any more documentation for how to build debian packages ? As I understand, it is possible to share some package related meta data (changelog, patches, etc...) between rpm and deb ?
Ok, I managed to build a deb package, but failed to build it locally, because osc cannot find the debian files necessary for a chrooted build:
- Is it possible to use standard debian mirrors for that (using urllist option in .oscrc) ?
- I found that the names of the deb files that build was looking for were not standard (for example, the separator between name and version, as well as between revision and arch, is _ and not - for debian, so we do not have libncurses5-5.5-5.i386.deb, but libncurses5_5.5-5_i386.deb). Am I missing something, or is this a bug ?

  cheers,

  David