[opensuse-buildservice] How to make a debian package ?
  • From: David Cournapeau <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 12:36:12 +0900
Hi,

I am trying to see how to build packages for both rpm and deb based distribution: I am familiar with deb packaging (I am a debian and the ubuntu user for more than 5 years), but do not know much about rpm. I managed to get opensuse build system to make rpm packages for openSuse 10.2 and Fedora 6 (I am using GNU hello as a simple software to package), but I don't see how to build deb package: for now, the build system produces rpm for debian etch and ubuntu, which is not really what I want.
As osc is itself built with the build system, I thought I could take a look at the project to see how both deb and rpm are built, but the file organization is totally different than the debian Policy, and I am bit lost. I found this http://en.opensuse.org/Build_Service/Deb_builds, which explains the different naming convention, but does not tell how to build debian packages.
Is there any more documentation for how to build debian packages ? As I understand, it is possible to share some package related meta data (changelog, patches, etc...) between rpm and deb ?

   cheers,

   David