Re: [opensuse-buildservice] openSUSE:dropped?
  • From: Michal Marek <mmarek@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 13:57:32 +0100
Stanislav Brabec wrote:
> Dirk Stoecker wrote:
>> On Fri, 16 Mar 2007, Michal Marek wrote:
>>
>>> would there be interest for a repository with packages dropped from the
>>> distribution? My idea is a readonly repository with no build targets
>>> that packagers could link to (like openSUSE:factory), patch if needed
>>> and rebuild for newer distributions. I would take care of updating the
>>> repository in case of security updates.
>> I don't think that's necessary, as these packages can be included in any
>> project anyway. I for example have ncompress and pixieplus in my home
>> project, which both have been dropped by openSUSE distribution.
>>
>> Getting an old SRPM and restart with it is possible in any case.
>
> But the latest pre-drop source is not publicly available, isn't it?
> Only the published distribution version is.

Can happen, plus there are some packages that are dropped, but have
security updates sometimes, so having a (to some extent) automatically
updated repo could help in those cases.

But on second thought, there are packages which were dropped, but are
still maintained upstream. In that case, creating an updated package as
a patch to the dropped one would probably be much more work that
maintaining a standalone package.

So I'm abandoning that openSUSE:dropped idea for now.

Michal