Re: [opensuse-buildservice] linking to packages built with the build service
  • From: Marcus Rueckert <mrueckert@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 16:17:07 +0100
On 2007-03-02 15:14:43 +0100, Robert Schiele wrote:
> Currently there is no way to link to a package built on the build service
> because if we do so this link will break on every rebuild since the release
> number will change.
>
> Because of that I recommmend to automatically create symbolic links without
> the version number as we have in the update directories on ftp.suse.com. For
> example:
>
> zypper.rpm -> zypper-0.6.15-0.1.i586.rpm
>
> If we do so we can just link to
> http://software.opensuse.com/download/.../packagename.rpm. This link will
> never break due to an automatic rebuild.

but it i will make the redirector harder. we aim for a redirector that
doesnt need local file access anymore but works with a sql db as
backend. to check what file is currently behind the symlink we would
need to read the link and than lookup the path to the real file in the
DB. of course we could transfer that symlink -> file mapping into the DB
aswell. but that would complicate the query. and for performance reasons
i would like to keep the query count per request low (ideally 1, most
likely it will be 2)

Furthermore i am more in favor of using package managers for the
installation step. rpm -i should be a very rare exception. so it would
be better to point to some doc, that explains to integrate the repo into
your favorite package manager.

just some thoughts

darix

--