Re: [opensuse-buildservice] links and tagging
  • From: Andreas Bauer <abauer@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 15:32:39 +0100
On Tuesday, 13. February 2007 14:49, Martin Mohring wrote:
> Hi,
>
> it was reported that you will later provide us with tagging and changelog
> support. How will this work with links? Will there be smart links able to
> link to a Project with a specific tag?
>
> I am asking because lateron openSUSE:Factory will become
> openSUSE:10.3, and I have addon packages that I would like to tag lateron
> without modifying the links inside.

Links and tags are completely independent, the backend even doesn't know
anything about tags. The tag functionality is there to provide users a way to
find certain packages easier. Linking is there to provide packagers a way to
submit patches for other packages.

Your smart link idea cannot work because it's not guaranteed that a tag is
unique to a specific project. It might be possible to use the tags to find
packages for linking, but the actual process of linking against another
package has to be independent from the tags.