[opensuse-buildservice] BuildService and translations
  • From: Dirk Stoecker <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 08:33:08 +0100 (CET)
Hello,

does BuildService have translation support?

For the pavuk package it seems I fight an endless fight to get the correct
translations into the final rpm.

This means to have the spec-file, the desktop files and any other texts
translated. For the Suse packages usually the translation in spec and
desktop-files disappear in each distribution. It seems there are different
repositories for different types of texts and ...

I know the KDE way of collector scripts to collect translatable strings
and update the text files, when the strings have been translated in the
.po text files. This is a really nice system I think.

I would love to see such things be integrated in the build service as
well for serveral reasons:

a) a RPM could contain the translation files and thus be complete
b) the upstream authors (which are usually not informed of translation
fixes [or patches at all BTW]) could access that data easily and
integrate it into their source repositories
c) all at on one place makes it easier to handle.

Implementing this would require heavy changes to the current
infrastructure I think (e.g. special translation user support), but it
would be worth the effort in the long term.

Anything planned in this direction?

P.S. Not to forget the translation of the build service texts themself
(package descriptions, ...).

Ciao