Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Discussing notification mechanisms
  • From: Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 12:08:03 +0100

Michal Marek wrote:
> Dr. Peter Poeml wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> as we all know, commit notifications are one of the biggest next steps
>> which are needed to become productive.
>>
>> I think a CIA tracking system could be the right thing for us. Or at
>> least it could serve as a model.
>
> Are build failure notifications planned, too? If so, can CIA help with that?

I don't think so. CIA is really for commit notifications.
As they're also collecting and aggregating commit statistics on the
website, I doubt that you can just send "anything" to it.

OTOH writing a custom IRC bot isn't that difficult, there are a few
frameworks out there.

SUSEhelp (used on #suse, #opensuse-de, ...) is Choob:
http://choob.warwickcompsoc.co.uk/
And there are lots of frameworks in lots of different programming languages.

Jabber could be an option as well, but we don't have a Jabber server
(yet ?) although it's not necessarily needed.
It's pretty easy to write Jabber bots or apps that send Jabber messages
- -- I would recommend using the Smack API (Java):
http://www.igniterealtime.org/projects/smack/index.jsp
But there are other APIs as well, in Python, Perl, ...
I've used Smack to write a SVN commit notification bot for Jabber MUCs
(group chats), damn easy with Smack.

cheers
- --