Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Linking packages from SUSE:SL-10.1
  • From: "Hillier, Gernot" <gernot@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 09:50:20 +0100
Hi!

Am Dienstag, 9. Januar 2007 17:03 schrieb Marcus Rueckert:
> On 2007-01-09 16:35:54 +0100, Robert Schiele wrote:
> > >
> > > no.
> > > what would be the use case? why do you need binary-only rpms from
> > > opensource software?
> >
> > One possible use case is that you have a tool that needs itself to build
> > because it does not provide a clean bootstrap method. In that case it
> > can ease the pain to initially inject a working version into the build
> > system.
>
> i know some possible use cases. i am just curios what his use case is.

Ok, sorry for the delay. I personally see 1.5 use cases:

1) You want to build a package against the native Java packages in SUSE 10.0
let's say. It took me about three days and 30 packages in the build service
until I could start my real package work. So this one really hurt me
(especially as Java packages are really no fun). But, well - if I wouldn't
had the need to do this, I'd never had developed the "createpacfromsrcrpm"
extension to osc. :)

2) You want to build a package which has a "legally problematic" package in
the dependency chain. Think especially about Multimedia stuff. However, I'm
not sure if adding binary RPMs could make the situation more clean in some
way...

--
Bye,

Gernot