Re: [opensuse-buildservice] storing mysql root password
  • From: James Tremblay <jamesat@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 21:58:24 -0500
On Thu, 2006-12-21 at 01:06 +0100, Christian Boltz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Am Mittwoch, 20. Dezember 2006 17:51 schrieb Manuel Arostegui Ramirez:
> > El Miércoles, 20 de Diciembre de 2006 17:41, Adrian Schröter escribió:
> > > there is, but it is really evil to do this.
> > >
> > > Because this interrupts a maybe automated installation process.
> >
> > Yeah, but to be honest, I think it's more comfortable to do that
> > rather than look for the sql file an run it manually.
> > I would like to know how do you that :-)
>
> If you want to make it easy for your users, write a small script
> ("myapp_setup" or something like that) that creates the database.
>
> For extra bonus, add some echo commands in the postinstall script that
> point the user to your database creation script.
>
> Advantages:
> - some lines of text output won't hurt in automated installation
> - it's still easy for the user to create the database
> - no evil hacks needed
> - users cann install your package without being forced to create the
> database (might be a rare usecase, but there are people who want to
> read your scripts without using them for example).
>
> I can imagine some _really_ crazy ways to autoinstall your database, but
> they are that evil that I don't even want to mention them ;-)
>

> Regards,
>
> Christian Boltz

I have a similar problem as one of my next steps to getting a package
automated
I'd like to enable apache2 and PHP and postgres. all in one script,
i know the Moodle group can do it all from PHP , i'd like to fork that
part of their code as a default PHP installation routine , would make a
great template in the buildservice! I just googled "install.php" and got
a few hits.
we should share a script.
James