Re: [opensuse-buildservice] storing mysql root password
  • From: Christian Boltz <opensuse@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 01:06:04 +0100
Hello,

Am Mittwoch, 20. Dezember 2006 17:51 schrieb Manuel Arostegui Ramirez:
> El Miércoles, 20 de Diciembre de 2006 17:41, Adrian Schröter escribió:
> > there is, but it is really evil to do this.
> >
> > Because this interrupts a maybe automated installation process.
>
> Yeah, but to be honest, I think it's more comfortable to do that
> rather than look for the sql file an run it manually.
> I would like to know how do you that :-)

If you want to make it easy for your users, write a small script
("myapp_setup" or something like that) that creates the database.

For extra bonus, add some echo commands in the postinstall script that
point the user to your database creation script.

Advantages:
- some lines of text output won't hurt in automated installation
- it's still easy for the user to create the database
- no evil hacks needed
- users cann install your package without being forced to create the
database (might be a rare usecase, but there are people who want to
read your scripts without using them for example).

I can imagine some _really_ crazy ways to autoinstall your database, but
they are that evil that I don't even want to mention them ;-)

Regards,

Christian Boltz
--
> > *gruebel* Beenden sich Zombie-Prozesse nicht irgendwann mal von
> > selbst?
>Ne, die sind ja schon beendet.
Umpf. Jetzt wird's schwierig. Wie zum Henker tötet man tote Untote,
die schon gestorben sind?
[Eilert Brinkmann und Martin Leidig in suse-talk]