Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Software installation
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 11:41:05 +0100
Am Tuesday 19 December 2006 23:41 schrieb Klaas Freitag:
> Hi,
>
> I just read this:
> http://ianmurdock.com/?p=388
>
> It's a blog about why software installation sucks on Linux.
> He is right with many of his statements, we all experienced
> that in the past. Distributions took that job and improved a
> lot.
>
> But still there are problems: For ISVs, for organisations who
> want to stay distribution independent and for the lots of
> developers whos work did not yet make it to a distribution.
>
> It's very much work to maintain all the building instructions
> for the various distributions out there in case you just want
> to code (and unfortunately people like to use your code) and
> your hobby is not packaging. You hardly have a chance to get
> many rpms for your project from outside unless it's really
> prominent.
>
> That's another area where the buildservice really can make a
> difference.
>
> Moreover if we in once can think of a more general build
> description - which could be a meta-description of spec files,
> we could ease the pain of the people who have to maintain so
> many different spec files and others for different platforms.

this would only partly solve his problems, he wrote a lot from the user point
of view. And the user has the hazzles because of unstable ABIs on Linux.

What we could consider is to create a pool of standarised packages (on top of
LSB project), which should work on all distributions. When you connect this
with a thing like klik, we could theoretical reach a 100% one click and run
on all systems solution.

A generalised build description (and templates) makes of course anyway sense
to make build way easier, more portable and maybe also automated.

> Since maintaining lots of stuff is a cost factor for ISVs,
> I think that would be one additonal argument to port to Linux.

I think ISV's would prefer the single package solution before a multiple
package solution. At least as long as all features do work on all systems and
they do not need to integrate deeper into the systems.

bye
adrian