[opensuse-buildservice] Software installation
  • From: Klaas Freitag <freitag@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 23:41:48 +0100
Hi,

I just read this:
http://ianmurdock.com/?p=388

It's a blog about why software installation sucks on Linux.
He is right with many of his statements, we all experienced
that in the past. Distributions took that job and improved a
lot.

But still there are problems: For ISVs, for organisations who
want to stay distribution independent and for the lots of
developers whos work did not yet make it to a distribution.

It's very much work to maintain all the building instructions
for the various distributions out there in case you just want
to code (and unfortunately people like to use your code) and
your hobby is not packaging. You hardly have a chance to get
many rpms for your project from outside unless it's really
prominent.

That's another area where the buildservice really can make a
difference.

Moreover if we in once can think of a more general build
description - which could be a meta-description of spec files,
we could ease the pain of the people who have to maintain so
many different spec files and others for different platforms.

Since maintaining lots of stuff is a cost factor for ISVs,
I think that would be one additonal argument to port to Linux.

True?

Klaas