Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Symbol in new BS webgui (package view)
  • From: Christian Boltz <opensuse@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 01:41:19 +0100
Hello,

first: thanks for the webgui update - it brings lots of useful features.

second: the new search (which also accepts substrings) is very good!

third: sorry that the rest of this mail sounds somewhat like criticism -
it isn't meant that way ;-)

Am Dienstag, 5. Dezember 2006 16:06 schrieb Dominique Leuenberger:
> Just a small comment about the new WebGui for the BS: I think the
> icon next to the text 'Build Status' (the icon looks like a
> 'refresh'). I expected it more to 'refresh' the view of the build
> status than to trigger a rebuild (ok: I didn't have to click.. the
> hover text was clear then).

Agreed, this icon is indeed confusing. And I'm afraid it could cause
lots of unneeded triggered rebuilds :-(

Please try to find a better icon for "trigger rebuild" that does not
look like a "refresh" icon. (Maybe you can use the blue rack-wheel that
is also used for enabled builds in enable/disable building.)

Other possible enhancements:
- add "trigger rebuild" icons to every target to rebuild a specific
target only
- the "enabled" icon in enable/disable building is meant as a good idea,
but IMHO too eye-catching. Maybe icons for disabled targets only would
be enough. Or use less flashy icons for active targets.
Thinking about it, I'd say:
- grey rack-wheel for enabled builds
- grey rack-wheel with red "x" for disabled builds
- keep blue (enabled) vs. grey (disabled) font color in arch column
- also apply blue / grey font color on the target column
- oh, and please use the same icon for "disabled target" (like Factory)
and "disabled arch" (like i586) - I propose a rack-wheel with "x" in
both cases.
- the "help about..." dropdown should open the requested page in a new
window. Otherwise it's not unlikely to loose unsaved changes (for
example spec file edits)

Sorry that I put all these things in one mail - I know it mixes up this
mail a bit. OTOH, it would be overkill to write a separate mail for
each of them ;-) If you want to have separate threads and/or
bugreports out of them, just ask.

Regards,

Christian Boltz
--
Will ich mich demnaechst mal ranmachen,
allerdings momentan zuviel extrem unwichtige Sachen zu tun.