Re: [opensuse-buildservice] release number for moved packages
  • From: "Dominique Leuenberger" <Dominique.Leuenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 13:06:11 +0100

Dominique Leuenberger wrote:
> > > happens

> correct?
> > >
> > > It starts with the release number contained in the specfile.
> > >

> > Hi,
> >
> > I guess that is a not-yet-implemented theorie. Up to now, I've
never
> > seen BS using my Release-Number inside a spec file, but always
> replacing
> > it with n.1 / n+m.1 (or by retriggering n.o / n.o+1)
> >
> > But it would be nice if at least the spec file would be respected
(as
> > on a local build, the spec file is fully respected for this)
>
> i am getting tired to explain this. the buildservice _has_ to keep
its
> release number. if it would always honor the release number you
could
> get into the situation where you cant update your package as you have
> smaller release number. with the current way we guarantee your newly
> build packages are always installable.

Darix,

In normal case, this is probably true, but in a case I just had, it was
BAD:
- I have a package in my home-repo, linked to an outside, public repo.
- I modify a pkg in my home repo
- as linking is not working in the BS, I have to delete the link in
games:...
- I recreate the link in games:...
BS builds the package, starting with %{version}-1.1, even though the
old package was 'already' at 1.2.
So the only solution I had in this case was retriggering the build
process twice to fix this.

In my SPEC-File was written Release 2.1.

You see, it might be a good choice to interpret the release in case
it's a higher number compared to what BS is offering/suggesting. There
ARE some pacckagers, that seem to think from time to time when they do
something.

Regards,
Dominique

< Previous Next >