Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Build synchronization bug?
  • From: "Dr. Peter Poeml" <poeml@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 17:07:04 +0100
On Mon, Nov 06, 2006 at 10:16:01AM +0100, Adrian Schröter wrote:
> Am Sunday 05 November 2006 08:41 schrieb Steve Beattie:
> > I've noticed this a few times now: I'll commit an update to a package
> > (via osc if that matters) and then go to the website to watch the build
> > progress for that package. If it happens to be a point where the
> > buildservice is relatively idle, the package will usually have started
> > rebuilding against all of the repositories I've assigned.
> >
> > On multiple occasions I've gone to view a build log for the package,
> > catching it in progress. I'll watch it continue building to completion,
> > only to discover at the end that it just rebuilt the *previous* version
> > of the package, If I then go back to the package status page, the package
> > will have had a new build kicked off for the same repository target;
> > returning to the log, it will indeed be a build for the newly committed
> > version of this package.
> >
> > Is this known behavior? Expected behavior? Please let me know if there's
> > anything in the above that I need to clarify.
>
> This can happen, when the client is changing something (lets say some
> unimportant file) and commits right afterwards, instead of submitting all
> other changes before.
>
> However, I think that osc does handle this in the right way already, so it
> should not happen using it.
>
> Peter, is this true ?

In former times, each commit would trigger a rebuild, which would
invalidate (kill) ongoing build jobs. Wouldn't it?

Has this changed?

If new builds are scheduled behing ongoing builds, that would explain
the behaviour (which I have been seeing myself a lot as well).

Although I (so far) claimed that build jobs aren't just done twice, but
even more often.

If "obsolete" build jobs are not (no longer?) killed: what's the
rationale?

Regards,
Peter
--
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH Bug, bogey, bugbear, bugaboo:
Research & Development A malevolent monster (not true?);
From: Chris Young (The Omnificent English Dictionary In Limerick Form)