Re: [opensuse-buildservice] BS kernel for 10.1 needs upgrade
  • From: Stefan Dirsch <sndirsch@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 17:47:39 +0100
On Mon, Nov 06, 2006 at 05:23:04PM +0100, Adrian Schröter wrote:
> Am Wednesday 01 November 2006 15:31 schrieb Bernhard Walle:
> > * Christoph Thiel <cthiel@xxxxxxx> [2006-11-01 14:58]:
> > >
> > > IIRC this is due to the fact that we wanted every package built for 10.1
> > > to be able to run on any version of 10.1 -- therefore no online updates
> > > have been pushed into the Build Service 10.1 target (yet). However, I'd
> > > put this up for reconsideration.
> >
> > Well, for any other packages except KMPs it shouldn't make any
> > difference because online updates shouldn't break the API or ABI.
> >
> > But for KMPs, it makes building KMPs in the BS completely useless IMO
> > if they're not built against the latest update kernel. Kernel update
> > fix security updates, and having KMPs only for the kernel which is
> > shipped on CD may bring users to run a non-updated kernel only to have
> > a driver available. That's not good.
>
> That is right, the kernel is an exception.

Well, as long as the kernel's ABI doesn't change, the weak-updates
mechanism Andreas Grünbacher implemented, does a great job. It
symlinks kernel modules built for other kernels into the current one,
after checking that they are compatible. This is done in %post of
kernel and kmp packages.

--> /usr/lib/module-init-tools/weak-modules

> So we need in future also an extra $distro+$updates repositories, where
> package such special packages can be build against.

Not sure, if we really need this (for each kernel update?) ... (see
above).

Best regards,
Stefan

Public Key available