RE: [opensuse-buildservice] How to do an in-house top-level build of OpenSUSE?
  • From: "Mark E Mason" <mark.e.mason@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 18:49:07 -0800
Hello,

> From: Marcus Rueckert [mailto:mrueckert@xxxxxxx]
>
> On Wednesday 01 November 2006 23:26, Mark E Mason wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm strongly considering attempting a build of OpenSUSE for an
> > architecture it does not support yet.  I have other Linuxes such as
> > Debian and Gentoo running on this hardware, but not
> OpenSUSE.  There was
> > a similar thread last month regarding SPARC.
>
> what architecture would that be?

MIPS. Probably o32 to begin with, but progressing to n32 and/or n64.

> > There's the usual bootstrapping issues to work through (I
> think I can
> > handle those) - but, where should I look for the scripts/programs to
> > drive the top-level configure and build of a distribution?
> I've found
> > the BuildServer under svn - but it's not clear to me if
> that's the right
> > tool for this, or if it's overkill or ??? (or if it contains the
> > distribution configuration info).
> >
> > Any thoughts or pointers would be much appreciated.
>
> build is doing the actual build job see
> http://software.opensuse.org/download/openSUSE:/Tools/
>
> the scheduler is not opensource yet.

Thanks - I'll start there.

> do you want to add gentoo support?

Well, Gentoo is already up and running on the board(s) I care about. What I'm really interested in is getting OpenSUSE up on the boards - probably using Gentoo or Debian as a bootstrap system.

Thanks,
Mark