Re: [opensuse-buildservice] BS kernel for 10.1 needs upgrade
  • From: Bernhard Walle <bernhard.walle@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 15:31:56 +0100
* Christoph Thiel <cthiel@xxxxxxx> [2006-11-01 14:58]:
> On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 10:12:24AM -0200, Mauricio Teixeira (netmask) wrote:
> > The current kernel for SUSE 10.1 on BS is 2.6.16.13-4, while the most
> > recent kernel it is 2.6.16.21-0.25.
>
> IIRC this is due to the fact that we wanted every package built for 10.1 to
> be able to run on any version of 10.1 -- therefore no online updates have
> been pushed into the Build Service 10.1 target (yet). However, I'd put this
> up for reconsideration.

Well, for any other packages except KMPs it shouldn't make any
difference because online updates shouldn't break the API or ABI.

But for KMPs, it makes building KMPs in the BS completely useless IMO
if they're not built against the latest update kernel. Kernel update
fix security updates, and having KMPs only for the kernel which is
shipped on CD may bring users to run a non-updated kernel only to have
a driver available. That's not good.

Bernhard
--
"Wenn ein Politiker stirbt, kommen viele zur Beerdigung nur deshalb,
um sicher zu sein, dass man ihn wirklich begräbt."