Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Statistics on downloaded packages
  • From: Christoph Thiel <cthiel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 23:52:44 +0200
On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 09:15:19AM +0200, Dominique Leuenberger wrote:

> Dominique Leuenberger wrote:
> > > I think it would be a nice and nifty feature to get somewhat like a
> > > statistic, how many times (in specific timeframes) some specific RPMs
> > > have been downloaded.
> > >
> > > This could help also to put priorities for RPM Maintainers and also
> > > allow to decide what people seem to like / request most.
> > >
> > > Suggestions are welcome.... if any
> >
> > wont work ... we use mirrors heavily.
>
> As far as I know, most poeple subscribe to software.opensuse.org/download
> and from there a redirect to mirrors is done. so still: your servers get
> the information what was requested, isn't it? And in plus, the number has
> not to be 100% accurate (which no statistic ever was!) but give an idea of
> what is needed and what was a waste of time and would be a waste of time
> to continue maintaining.

Basically, we have the logs for software.opensuse.org/download, but we
haven't analyzed them to much (yet). Generating some stats from them should
be fairly simply. Would anyone be interested in create a script to evaluate
the logs? I'd be happy to provide the log format (and even change it with
the upcoming rewrite of the download redirector).

Best,
Christoph