Re: [opensuse-buildservice] RFC: BS sends mail on error / after completion
  • From: Christian Boltz <opensuse@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 23:25:31 +0200
Hello,

Am Donnerstag, 19. Oktober 2006 11:04 schrieb Klaas Freitag:
> On Wednesday 18 October 2006 15:27, Adrian Schröter wrote:
> > Am Wednesday 18 October 2006 13:56 schrieb Dominique Leuenberger:
> > > Would it bw possible to instruct the BS to send a mail upon
> > > completion / failure of a package to a predefined mail address?
[...]
> Is there any specific input on that from the community side? What
> notify-channels would you like to have, defaults, configuration etc.
> ? Please give us your detailed needs ;-))

Mail notification would be nice for
- projects where you are (co-) maintainer
- packages where you are (co-) maintainer
- watched projects

Maybe there should also be a mailinglist to watch all projects.

RSS feeds for successful builds are somewhat available already (in the
repodata directory), but annoying to handle because there are separate
feeds for each target. They might also a bit outdated because it needs
some time to sync out the package to software.opensuse.org.

Better solution: provide individual RSS feeds per user - same content as
above mentioned notification mails. Even better: configurable like the
mail notificaton (see below), but with separate configuration so that I
could for example watch successful builds via RSS and get a
notification mail on failed builds.

I would also vote for commit mails that are sent on every change to a
package (something like opensuse-commit), again for
- projects where you are (co-) maintainer
- packages where you are (co-) maintainer
- watched projects
- maybe: all projects (as mailinglist)

Configuration options for mail notification should be:

Relationship: project package watched
maintainer maintainer project
- on successful builds [x] [x] [x]
- on failed builds [x] [x] [x]
- on commits [x] [x] [x]
- on _my_ commits [x] [x] (not applyable)
- maintainer added / removed [x] [x] [x]
- I'm added / removed as maint. [x] [x] (not applyable)
- I have added / removed maint. [x] [x] (not applyable)

The "any project" case should probably be handled as mailinglist because
it would be too expensive to send mails to everybody interested in all
projects. However, it would be a nice idea to integrate subscription
with some checkboxes in the above scheme - in this case you would need
mailinglists for successful builds, failed builds, commits and
maintainer changes. (Yes, this would be the perfect solution. I'm not
sure if we really need this ;-))

(In case you implement other roles than "maintainer", there should be
separate config options for "maintainer" and $new_role.)

Regards,

Christian Boltz

PS: I'm not sure if a RSS feed for commits makes sence because it would
be very high-traffic and the lifetime of each item would therefore
be quite short (aka "too short")
--
Eine Sig ist genauso überflüssig wie beim Einkaufen die Hose. In
irgendeinem abstrakten Sinne käme man natürlich ohne aus, wenn man