Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Moving UFO:AI to games:startegy:turn based
  • From: "Dominique Leuenberger" <Dominique.Leuenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 12:51:58 +0200

>>> Reply on 20-10-2006 13:50:06 <<<> >>> On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 12:47
PM, in message
> <s5377416.039@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> "Dominique Leuenberger" <Dominique.Leuenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Dear Holger, dear all
> >
> > As we already talked together, we had the Idea to move the game
> UFO:AI
> > to the Games:Strategy:Turn Based directory, where it would
perfectly
> > fit.
> >
> > For this I have several questions, especially related to the
ufoai-
> data
> > package:
> >
> > - Can there be a separate repository only for ufoai- data, to
avoid
> it
> > to be built for all platforms (like 10.1, 10.0, SLED and so on)?
In
> this
> > special Repo of course, nothing else would have to be built. The
> problem
> > with UFO:AI is the excessive amount of data files being pushed to
the
> > client (160MB!) that should not be duplicated to multiple repos if
> > possible (see also discussion in the buildservice- mailinglist
about
> > this)? Maybe something like games:strategy:turnbased:uniform data
> > packages
> >

> Not sure if this can be done. Maybe a single project building
> ufo:ai-data stuff only (for one distribution) could
> provide the noarch package to every distribution that is subscribed
for
> that project.
>
> However, I don't like it, as it's not really convenient for the
users,
> they have to subscribe to two channels.
>
> Holger

Holger,

I know what you mean and indeed it is not the most conveniant way for
the end user.
But then, it's the only way up to now to avoid the need to replicate
the DATA File to all 5 Platforms, that are currently configured in
Games:strategy:turn-based. If I link the package just in like this, it
will create DATA Files of 800MB, which we all agree is way to much.

So I suggest for the time being, to create a Repository
games:strategy:turn-based:datafiles and hope that the feature that
Adrian Schroeter mentioned here:
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-buildservice/2006-10/msg00136.html

I would put a description in the %Description part of the SPEC file of
UFO:AI for this.
Any suggestions?

Dominique
  • No further messages