[opensuse-buildservice] Re: [RFC] Release numbers and the Kernel project
  • From: Jan Blunck <jblunck@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 14:20:36 +0200
On Sun, Oct 15, Andreas Gruenbacher wrote:

> On Sunday 15 October 2006 13:53, Jan Blunck wrote:
> > Therefore my proposal for fixing this issue: a buildservice package link
> > should inherit the release number from its source package. All changes
> > inside the linked package (additional patches, files, ...) should be added
> > to this release number.
>
> I don't understand what you mean exactly: do you mean that when there are
> changes other than plainly linking the package, then the release number
> should be <linked-to-package-release-number> + 1, and if there are no
> changes, the package should keep the original
> <linked-to-package-release-number>?

Correct. From talking to mls it seems that it is somehow a requirement that
the linked packages have a higher release number if they have changes
in. Therefore you can make sure that the package with the changes is installed
if you have both available.

> I'm not sure that we want to hardwire the way how release numbers are computed
> for linked packages; I could imagine that we sometimes want to use the same
> release numbers for the linked-from and linked-to packages, and in other
> cases we want to keep the release numbers independent.

Yes, but so far nobody came up with a usecase.

> In the kernel case in particular, we need to associate each particular
> check-in (i.e., each set of package sources) with a unique identifier; this
> is sufficient so that all the packages will refer to the correct paths
> in /usr/src/* and /lib/modules/*. Without it, building external kernel
> modules would break.

This is assured by increasing the release number of kernel-source package with
every check-in. The internal pathnames of all packages refer to the release
number of the kernel-dummy package.

The problem I'm talking about are the external visible release numbers of the
packages in the project. They differ although the packages are related to each
other.