Re: [opensuse-buildservice] spec files: package source: file or link?
  • From: Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 14:58:43 +0200
Adrian Schröter wrote:
> Am Friday 22 September 2006 12:37 schrieb Pascal Bleser:
>> Marcus Rueckert wrote:
>>> and the build service soon too. there was a Google summer of code
>>> project for upstream integration. that should be part of it.
>> Great. Actually it's not that difficult to implement, as you "just"
>> need to parse the spec file and then trigger wget or curl on the URL +
>> copy the resulting download to SOURCES/
>
> it is a bit more, since we do not want to rely on .spec files, tar ball
> validation is needed and we want also support cvs/svn checkouts.

Ok. What would you validate besides the fact that it actually is what
it says (that a .tar.gz is effectively a .tar.gz) ?

And yay for cvs/svn checkouts :)
Source: http://..../foobar@1424
or
Source: :pserver:..../module@TAG
:)

>> A cache would obviously be quite useful, as we don't want to download
>> the file with every build.
>
> yes
>
>> Maybe a fixed size disk cache and remove sources older than x days...
>> ? (arguably the most complex part to implement)
>
> no, we do not want to loose the history within the source repository.

So you really want to commit the sources into the repository.
Hmm.. ok, that's one approach.
At Packman we decided against it to avoid bloating the repository with
gigabytes of tarballs. Obviously, this is only consistent with the
premise that the source tarballs are still available.

Your approach is more consistent, no question, if you have enough
storage space for the repository ;D

BTW, does that mean you keep a history of the BS projects in... what,
SVN ?

cheers
_\_v http://www.fosdem.org http://opensuse.org