Re: [opensuse-buildservice] more newby questions: project / package structure?
  • From: Michael Schroeder <mls@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 12:57:36 +0200
On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 09:18:42AM +0200, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:
> how are projects and packages structured?
> is it a fixed "one name for the project and then one for the package"
> system, or are further subdirs possible?
>
> I wonder about this: recent discussions with rpm experts have shown me
> that merging several spec files into one only creates a horrible
> maintainence hell.

You also get a horrible maintainence hell if you have lots of specfiles,
because you'll have to keep them in sync if you add patches and the
like.

> also they have compelling arguments, that one rpm for
> all distributions was something they tried for years with lots of work,
> and it never worked well.

right, that's why we have the build service. Automatically create rpms
for lots of distributions.

> so I see as best solution to have codenames (e.g. fc3,fc4,fc5, sles9,
> sles10, oss10.0, dapper, edgy, etch, sarge, ...) and for each
> distribution *.spec.$codename or *.diff.gz.$codename. but this would
> require work on the build system side, and I get the impression noone
> wants that.
>
> the alternative from my side would be per distro packages.
> e.g. instead of "openct" I could have packages "openct.fc" and
> "openct.os" and "openct.sles" and "openct.sarge" and so on,
> upload spec files for each. this wouldn't require changes in the code
> base, and give me the flexibility I need, so I can simply build new
> packages for my open source projects, with minimal changes to the last
> spec file the distribution provides.
>
> but that way the list of packages might grow very long. is it possible
> to structure projects/packages a different way (i.e. path mechanism,
> no flat one project, one package subdir structure)?

I'm just preparing a patch that makes the build service look for
<package-name>-<repository-name>.spec if a package contains multiple
specfiles. So you can have a different specfile for every repository.

I prefer a single specfile, though.

Cheers,
Michael.

--