Re: [opensuse-buildservice] newby questions
  • From: Christoph Thiel <cthiel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 21:52:22 +0200 (CEST)
On Wed, 20 Sep 2006, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:

> as a real newby I have lots of questions, maybe you can answer some of
> these?
>
> a) on the web page - why no add all for adding all distributions? would
> simplify it for most users

Are you talking about adding build targets? Originally all targets were
shown, but with the growing number of project that list is geeting really
complicated for users to work with.

> b) adding the same distribution twice by accident gives an sql error.
> maybe you want to add code to does that check of handle the mistake
> more graceful.

=> please file a bug report -> http://bugs.openSUSE.org/ (product:
openSUSE.org, component: Build Service something ;))

> c) ubuntu edgy might be nice, so packages for the development
> distribution can be created too. (ok, more of a feature request :)

=> Adrian, mls?

> g) If I want to jointly develop packages with a group of people, we need
> a non home: repository, right? and I need to ask here for approval
> before creating one?

Right -- propose one, get the "approval" and create it yourself :)

> i) opensuse buildservice is restricted to open source software as far as
> I know. what about java addons, are they ok? specifically, if java
> forces the author to sign them and to keep the signature key private?
>
> at opensc-project we have a new project "opensc-java" which is a java
> crypto service (with smart cards via opensc as backend), and we needed
> to go through all the hassle of signing it etc. so while the source code
> is open source, it won't work with java unless signed. so our "build"
> process would be more like uploading the binaries and only moving files
> into place (or building from source, but the result wouldn't work at
> all, as we need to keep the signing key private).

Mh, I guess that falls into some gray area -- J├╝rgen?

> h) are there any plans to add the metadata e.g. for debian package
> pools? (dist/ directory, "Package" files etc.)?

AFAIK we are already creating apt metadata (Packages / Packages.gz files).

Regards
Christoph