Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Release number
  • From: Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 23:01:37 +0200

Christian Boltz wrote:
> a miror question about / problem with the Release: number:
>
> In the specfile, I have to set a release number:
> Release: 42
> (If I don't, rpm complains and the build fails.)

Indeed, Release: is a mandatory spec file tag.

> The build service edits this number when building the package and sets
> it to 1.42 then 2.42 then 3.42 etc.
> This makes the release number in the specfile quite useless because it's
> only on the second position.

Ummm... I'm pretty sure this is supposed to be done on the *second*
field, not the first one.

Adrian ?

> The behaviour can also cause problems when someone imports a package to
> the build service.
> Say I have released a manually built foobar-1.0-42 package, then move to
> the build service and do some small changes without changing the
> version number. The build service will compile a foobar-1.0-1.42
> package which looks "older" to RPM :-(
> Are there any plans to change the behaviour regarding the release
> number?

Either something is misconfigured or it's a bug, because from what I
know, it is actually meant to be performed on the second part of the
Release: (behind the dot).
I would doubt it's a bug because quite a few builds have already been
done with the Build Service.
Maybe a regression that has been introduced today ?

cheers
- --