Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Inconsistency with the XML Project
  • From: Robert Schiele <rschiele@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 15:58:59 +0200
On Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 03:34:45PM +0200, Christoph Thiel wrote:
> Well, the redirector magic hasn't been released yet, but if you are so
> keen on enhancing it, I'll forward you my current working copy, Robert.

I can't tell you whether I want provide improvements before I have seen it.
But why don't you release this code from the very beginning. It is much
easier to find contributers when you start with simple code than when you wait
until the code has grown to some scaring comlexity probably providing big
barriers for potential new contributors.

I think most projects that are started within the openSUSE projects fail in
this aspect. Why do you always first start the projects behind the curtain?

The "open" in openSUSE should really be emphasised a bit stronger. If you
replace old proprietary infrastructure at SUSE with new proprietary
infrastructure or just add new proprietary infrastructure then openSUSE will
never be really open. And btw: Software can still be managed in a proprietary
way, even when the license is an OSI license. You will only gain from open
source software if you follow an open development model. Read my other mail
on opensuse-factory from today to get some emotions about the current
situation.

And about sending a copy: I most likely won't work on a copy because it
already happened to me that I did improvements to a copy of some piece of
software and sent this back to the original author to get the answer: "I
implemented almost the same in the meantime in my copy."

Robert

--
Robert Schiele Tel.: +49-621-181-2214
Dipl.-Wirtsch.informatiker mailto:rschiele@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx