Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Re: Namespaces
  • From: Michael Schroeder <mls@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 19:14:54 +0200
On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 11:58:20AM +0200, Michael Schroeder wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 05, 2006 at 09:10:07PM +0200, Marcus Rueckert wrote:
> > we should define some rules that ban the seperator from package names
> > aswell. and that will be hard. in that regard ":" was good. as projects
> > barely use it in their names, unlike "_", "-" or "+". (the plus sign is
> > forbidden by the buildserivce atm anyway.)
> >
> > i wonder if we just should force
> >
> > ns/project/package
> >
> > and stuff all projects without an explicit namespace into "unsorted" or
> > something like that. then we wouldnt need some special namespace marker
>
> No, a fixes hierarchy makes no sense.

To followup on my own mail, here are the requirements for the
repository pathes:

1) must support arbitrary deep hierarchies for projects
2) must support arbitrary deep hierarchies for repositories

The idea behind this is to allow project maintainers to create
new projects in a sub hierarchy. For example, the "KDE:KDE3"
maintainers should be able to create a "KDE:KDE3:AMAROK"
subproject. Or the maintainer of "home:mls" should be able
to create "home:mls:fancyproj".
So in short, the buildservice maintainers only have an eye on the
"top level" projects, everything else is done via the normal project
permissions.

3) must be collision free

If we would just use '/' as a hierarchiy seperator, we would
get in trouble when there is a name clash with a repository.
For example a project "KDE/KDE3/SL10" might clash with a
repository "SL10" in "KDE/KDE3". The same is true for clashes
between the repository and the real repository, i.e. "repodata",
"i586" and the like.

4) it should be possible to rsync a project without loading
down all projects in a lower hierarchy. This is also hard with
simple slashes, because the KDE/KDE3 also includes KDE/KDE3/AMAROK.

We us a simple conversion of ':' to ':/' for now, I admit this
is a kind of a hack, but it meets the requirements.

If anybody comes up with something more elegant, please speak up.
We can still change the design, nothing is set to stone at the
moment.

Thanks,
Michael.

--