Namespaces
  • From: Marcus Rueckert <mrueckert@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 16:58:10 +0200
hi,

on irc we had a discussion about adding some logical namespaces.

It was started by looking for the right place for a php project.
we now agreed on having a "server:" namespace. the first proposed
projects in that namespace we see:
server:apache (the former Apache project)
server:mail (exim and home:choeger:postfix could be moved there)
server:ftp
server:php (php project, and php extensions, and my hardened php
package)
server:dns (i will move my pdns, mydns, nsd packages there. maybe the
bind and dnsmasq package could move there aswell?:) )

It would be nice to have a server:voip aswell. peter nixon has some
packages in that area iirc. :)

The jpackage projects are moved into the Java: namespace.

Some people might ask: why dont you just move php into the apache
project.
The answer is pretty short: Because it makes its impossible to build
newer php against older apache versions. with the new layout we can add
server:apache:<somedist> as build target to the php project aswell as
the plain suse distros. :)

So in long term i would suggest to join such logical project instead of
having multiple "mixed purpose projects". if you want to add a package
to such a project please contact the project owner on this list.

keep up the good work everyone

darix

--
openSUSE - SUSE Linux is my linux