Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Re: BS provides no benefit for me
  • From: Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 16:29:47 +0200
Peter Nixon wrote:
> --snip--
>> What would make the BS more compelling to me would be to have a ppc
>> build target (and providing what I'm missing, above ;)).
>
> I also would be interested in this.
>
> I would also like the possibility to turn different build targets on/off per
> package.

That should be supported with the "ExclusiveArch" and/or "ExcludeArch"
tags in spec files, e.g.:
ExclusiveArch: %ix86 x86_64
ExcludeArch: ppc ppc64

See
http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm/s1-rpm-specref-preamble.html#S3-RPM-SPECREF-EXCLUSIVEARCH
http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm/s1-rpm-specref-preamble.html#S3-RPM-SPECREF-EXCLUDEARCH

I don't know whether that's currently supported by the BS though.

>> Of course, that's my very personal POV, in the light of building
>> packages that are not provided at all on SUSE Linux or that could only
>> be built as a crippled subset because of potential legal/patent issues.
>> It's a totally different case concerning packages that are already in
>> the distribution, that I could co-maintain directly and that are built
>> as full-fledged because they're not in the gray legal/patent realm.
>
> I would like to personally thank SUSE for allowing others to use the Build
> Service. I have 19 packages (and growing) in there at present and find it
> very usefull!

Hey, sure, I'm not bashing the BS ;)
Just that my situation (and for most of 3rd party SUSE Linux packagers
who are out there since some time) is pretty different: I already have
an existing infrastructure that works great.
I'm just saying that compared to that, the BS doesn't provide any
benefits as of now, at least nothing compelling.

cheers
_\_v http://www.fosdem.org http://opensuse.org