Re: [opensuse-buildservice] BS provides no benefit for me
  • From: Robert Schiele <rschiele@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 13:30:59 +0200
On Mon, May 29, 2006 at 01:04:36PM +0200, Adrian Schroeter wrote:
> Am Monday 29 May 2006 12:53 schrieb Pascal Bleser:
> > Unfortunately, it's all happening behind the SUSE curtain :(
>
> We do develop in the public svn. Have a look esp. at the TODO file. Andreas is

Sorry, but this is more or less a joke as it is in the moment from an
(external) developer's point of view. There is no working backend available
for external developers (even not a working dummy backend). This makes every
effort to establish a local test system to evaluate the results of changes you
do to the code impossible or at least so complicated that it is no longer fun
to work on it. I suppose you as s software developer are aware that this is
not the way you can do reasonable work.

You don't need to explain me the problems again about pending decissions for
releasing further parts of the system to the public but as long as you are
developing internally without providing any reasonable infrastructure for
external developers you are walking further and further away from external
developers.

As long as this does not _really_ change I am fully of the opinion of Pascal:
It does not really provide additional value for me too. For me it is also
easier to work on _our_ internal build system without doing any big effort to
integrate stuff we developed there to your system. I will play around with
the openSUSE build service and will do bug reports to stay up-to-date but as
long as there is no running system I have some controll over, I will not even
try to fix the problems myself because it is a waste of time, and I have a
build system at hand that fits my needs _much_ better.

Robert

--
Robert Schiele Tel.: +49-621-181-2214
Dipl.-Wirtsch.informatiker mailto:rschiele@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx