Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Build target naming
  • From: Christian Boltz <opensuse@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 12:12:02 +0200
Hello,

Am Donnerstag, 25. Mai 2006 16:07 schrieb Adrian Schröter:
> Am Thursday 25 May 2006 15:50 schrieb Christian Boltz:
> > when adding a build target (say "SUSE:SL-10.0/standard") I can
> > enter a name for that target.
[...]
> > I think the naming should be more standardized - at least in a soft
> > way: When choosing something in the "Platform" dropdown, the "Name"
> > field should be filled with the name of the selected Platform as
> > default.
> >
> > In case someone builts on top of another project (like a package
> > for KDE4 on SL 10.1), the default should be the underlying
> > distribution (here: SL 10.1).
>
> I agree completely, but it is not that easy.
>
> The problem is that you can also define stacked targets (for example
> build against new KDE3 for 10.0) or you can have multiple repos for
> one target (additional xine packages for example).
>
> So, yes, we should standarize this, but we need also to handle these
> special cases.

This is why I wrote about "soft way" and "as default".

People should still be able to change it - but hopefully won't if not
really necessary because it's additional work ;-)

From the technical point of view, I'd suggest
- add a bit of onChange JavaScript to the Platform dropdown, filling the
Name text box with the default value ("SUSE_Linux_10.0")
- put the text box _below_ the dropdown (for usability reasons, because
it depends on the selection in the dropdown)

> I would suggest to have a verbale standard to use for example
> "SUSE_Linux_10.1" for now for the simple targets.

Sounds good, but I'm afraid that the only way to enforce (more or less,
see above) this standard is a technical solution.

Regards,

Christian Boltz
--
blubb || { echo "Autsch" >&2; exit 1; }
[David Haller in suse-linux über ein misslungenes Script]

< Previous Next >