Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Linking packages from released distributions
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 16:13:23 +0200
Am Thursday 25 May 2006 15:31 schrieb Christian Boltz:
> Hello,
>
> I wanted to create a modified courier-authlib package (to be exact: with
> added mysql backend, requires just a specfile patch AFAIK) for 10.1, but
> wasn't able to link to the package.
>
> Michael Schröder told me that the sources for 10.1 were not uploaded - I
> think this should be changed ;-)
>
> The reasons why I do not want to link to the Factory package are the
> same with for YOU updates - I want to minimize the changes I need to do
> to the whole system (so: no version upgrades) and would like to have an
> automated package rebuild in case there's a security update for
> courier-authlib.
>
> Of course, I can upload the 10.1 sources myself - but I don't consider
> this a very good idea...

We do plan to host the source in future as well, but after we do really
maintain the distribution itself inside of the build service.

You will be able to link against a released/old source version than from the
source repository.

> BTW: Can I upload a src.rpm instead of a tarball also?

no, because not all tools will be able to handle a src.rpm. And you will not
be able to build non rpm packages from it.

But someone could patch the commandline tool osc to import a src.rpm by
extracting it (hint hint ;)

> PS: Maybe wildcard linking would be an interesting feature ("link to
> package foobar from the distributions I'm building packages for") -
> but in this case you would need the option to apply a patch to a
> limited set of your build targets.
> The alternative is to create a project per target distribution and
> to apply the patch to the distributions that need it.

hm, indeed an interessting idea.