Re: [opensuse-buildservice] open source development model
  • From: Sonja Krause-Harder <skh@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 20:00:01 +0100
On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 07:23:01PM +0100, Robert Schiele wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 06:03:24PM +0100, Sonja Krause-Harder wrote:
> > The public build service svn doesn't have a "shadow" svn internally
> > where things are developed and later moved out. Whatever is in the
> > public svn now is being developed there.
>
> Actually I don't care whether it is a "shadow" svn or a "shadow"
> we-don't-use-revision-control-internally-at-all tool. Obviously software
> (like the build script) is already deployed to the build server in a version
> that is not in the public repository (because there is _no_ version of the
> build script in the repository but the server does actually build packages
> already).

This is the backend part I mentioned.

> > This only affects the backend part. API frontend and clients are in the
> > public svn, and developments happens there.
>
> And you expect that there will be any useful contribution to for instance the
> frontend part from outside the information firewall if there is neither
> documentation about the interface to the backend, nor a working backend
> available and people from outside can't even be sure which parts of the
> backend will really be open sourced?

No, I don't. We went public with a pre-pre-alpha, far from feature
complete, incomplete version to give people the possibility to look at
the code as early as possible. I understand your frustration that this
is not going faster, but I can't change it now. We're working on the
problem.

> You once moaned about having not enough speakers from outside SUSE at FOSDEM.

I moaned? That was not intended and perhaps a misunderstanding. I hope
that in a year we have more non-SUSE speakers at conferences, and I
might have said that we should work on this.

Sonja

--
Sonja Krause-Harder (skh@xxxxxxx)
Research & Development SUSE Linux Products GmbH