[opensuse-boosters] Events
Hey,

taking this to our list.

On 16.05.2011 11:48, Klaas Freitag wrote:

I think it took some time, but now we are really rocking.

Which is the time we should detach from the rocket. We are boosters and
not the main engine! :) If I look at how the project nowadays runs
events I see a huge influence of the Boosters. Organization, materials,
DVDs, both equipment and setup, the atmosphere and the way we generally
roll on events are things we have brought up to speed. We can be very
proud about that.

But I also see that the usual suspect events don't hold much for us
Boosters anymore. Yes it is important that the openSUSE Project is at
LinuxTag, FROSCOM, SCALE or whatever but it's less and less important
for us Boosters. So lets see how we take events to the next level and
you know me, I already have an Idea how :)

From now on I would like us to concentrate on events that meet both of
the following two conditions:

1. The main audience is not the FOSS community.
2. The topic is something you are not an expert in.

I don't want us to do the same, always. There are so many groups of
people out there that are connected to technology and engineering that
are FOSS-minded to some degree. I want Boosters to go to their events
and connect with them. It's time we try to tap into other groups than
the FOSS community for contributors.

The second thing is about that the Boosters get more out of the bucks we
put into the events. From now on I want you to come home from an event
with at least one new idea that you are excited about. Ideally with more
ideas then you can act on. The world moves fast and there is tons of
stuff where openSUSE still communicates, behaves, designs, develops and
deploys like RMS and friends did in the 70s. It's time for us to go out
and bring something of the new things back into openSUSE.

This doesn't mean that we shouldn't do things on those events for
openSUSE. I still expect you to give talks, distribute materials,
educate people and network if you have the chance. I just would like us
to do that with new people on new topics.

What do you think? Do you maybe already have an event in mind for
yourself or someone else?

Henne

--
Henne Vogelsang, openSUSE.