Re: Fw: [opensuse-boosters] Proposal for Building, Managing Code Testing Ecosystem
  • From: "Bernhard M. Wiedemann" <bwiedemann@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 15:48:58 +0200

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 10:47:59 -0700
From: Tony Su <tonysu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: opensuse-boosters@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [opensuse-boosters] Proposal for Building, Managing Code
Testing Ecosystem

Hello Group,

I was informed that this was the best place to submit a rather large
and potentially influential openSUSE project.

Through Bryen and the openSUSE marketing group, I came to understand
that a call for Users willing to test code has been made.

Along with one other in that group and considering my ongoing
participation in the openSUSE Technical Help forums, the two of us are
proposing building a state of art ecosystem of Users willing to test
and assist in developing Code.

Please take a few minutes to read the proposal I've posted at the
following URL, the website is set to be accessible only by those who
know the URL (it's not supposed to be publicly searchable) and
although it's visible anonymously, editing requires logging in with a
Google account.

https://sites.google.com/site/projectcodedev/

Do be forthright with any opinion about the proposed Project, myself
and anything else, I will take any comment constructively and after
many years have seen and experienced just about anything that can and
has been said in unmoderated as well as moderated forums. If the
Proposal is deemed unsupportable, I might be disappointed but can
accept that as well.

:)

Thank you,
Tony Su

Hi,

I have been driving quite some part of the testing efforts for 11.4
(sometimes jokingly calling myself "HobbyQA")

In particular, I created http://openqa.opensuse.org/ on a dedicated
machine in Nuremberg (because it needs hardware virt and plenty resources).
This helps a lot to auto-maintain the factory-tested repo as something
that will not be arbitrarily broken and thus is better suited for human
testers than openSUSE-Factory.

for testing coordination/communication there is atm the ML
http://lists.opensuse.org/archive/opensuse-testing/

and wiki
http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Testing

and IRC meetings
http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Testing_meeting

and the new social thingy:
https://connect.opensuse.org//pg/groups/12174/opensuse-testers/

in principle, there is also testopia on bugzilla.novell.com, but until
now it was not really put to good use - possibly because of certain
shortcomings in the setup which we can not influence.

I read most of the proposal pages and was thinking, that Linux
Distributions do not do "Waterfall" model much, because there are
a) rarely detailed specs upfront,
b) design often happens as needed during implementation,
c) verification is rarely comprehensive or specific to new code
d) there are several pre-releases allowing for feedback and subsequent
improvements (even Factory(-tested) providing daily updates)

of course, distributions also mainly consist of upstream project code
with their own devel/release cycles and methods.

However, some way to better coodinate testers and testing would be nice.
Giving credits and/or rewards to testers is also a good thing to do.
And there is more room for improvement.

Ciao
Bernhard M.
- --