Re: [opensuse-boosters] Egbert's Weeks 29/30
  • From: Egbert Eich <eich@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 19:31:37 +0200
On Mon, Aug 09, 2010 at 12:06:01PM +0200, Henne Vogelsang wrote:
Hey,

On 08/06/2010 07:31 PM, Egbert Eich wrote:
On Fri, Aug 06, 2010 at 05:46:58PM +0200, Jos Poortvliet wrote:

Indeed for someone working at a company like Novell for a while it may
feel
strange to discuss things with collegues in public:
- Should one really openly 'flame' fellow Novell employees (AJ, Michael,
coolo,
the Boosters, ...) or decisions made by them?
- What things can a Novell employee say in public? How much are the
things
one says influenced by internal knowledge that's not ment for public
digestion?

I have this myself - I don't know where I stand being both a Novell
employee and a community member. Something I want to discuss with
ppl in person a bit anyway so I'll take it up with them too.

Finally people speak up - and I'm sure others will go again: "oh, no, this
should have been an internal discussion".

I never heard "oh, no, this should have been an internal discussion"
anywhere! And believe me I am usually part of the nasty discussions ;-).

You may be too intimidating ;P

I do believe this is a fear that we need to manage somehow. They don't
have this in their upstream communities right?

Of course not. There is no contractual relationship between the project and
the contributor. Everyone just contributes as an individual. There is a
difference if you post on LKML or some freedesktop.org ML with a Novell
mailing address or if you do this in the openSUSE project. At least this
perception exists.

Cheers,
Egbert.
--
Egbert Eich (Res. & Dev.) SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
openSUSE Booster / X Window System Development