[opensuse-boosters] Thoughts on moving away all pointless KDE discussions from the opensuse@ list?
  • From: Lubos Lunak <l.lunak@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 12:08:47 +0200
On Monday 02 of August 2010, Henne Vogelsang wrote:
On 08/02/2010 11:39 AM, Lubos Lunak wrote:
[AMBER]
- I wish I didn't have to read a long stupid useless repeating flamewar
about KDE3/KDE4 every month

Don't you know the Deutschland key? [D] :)

Ok, this may sound like I'm joking, but I'm actually right now serious about
this. I would like to enforce that these KDE flamewars no longer take place
on the opensuse@ mailing list. I was originally going to say something
like "make them to be considered offtopic", but the reality is that a good
deal of them is already against the netiquette (off-topic, aggressive,...),
so the problem is just that we let them exist.

I think the reasons for removing the discussions from the mail user mailing
list are rather simple:
- they are responsible for a significant if not major portion of aggressive
mails, if they're removed, it can possibly drive at least some of the trolls
away, or at least remove a reason for them to show off
- it annoys pretty much everybody on the list:
- GNOME (or non-KDE users in general) couldn't care less, and of course the
involved people ignore things like "there is a dedicated KDE list, move
there"
- KDE4-based people don't really care that much either, but they
occassionally fuel the discussions by trying to argue
- KDE3-based people either silently use the unsupported KDE:KDE3 repo, or
not-so-silently take part in these flamewars, which prevents them from
helping with the KDE:KDE3 repo, helping with improving KDE4, switching to
GNOME, going playing tennis or getting a life
- the possibly good results of these discussions are very unlikely to be worth
the time wasted reading them and the negative energy generated (this is
mostly because the discussions are generally pointless and nothing good at
all comes out as a result)
- the more noise on the mailing list, the more likely trolls will be attracted
there and useful people will be driven away, and the other way around
- how are we supposed to be a happy hugging loving community when we have
something like this all the time?

One way of handling this would be simply to start moderating these threads,
since, as I said, they are often against the netiquette anyway. I would be
willing to do the necessary work.

An alternative (in addition to the above, of course, since without that
apparently nothing would work), we could set up another mailing list
dedicated to the purposes of whin^H^H^H^Hdiscussing finer aspects of Plasma's
design, technical choices related to rewritting certain KDE components for
KDE4 and other certainly very interesting topics that everybody who'd be for
some reason interested could read there. That would be a way to shut up all
those who'd like to point out censorship or similar nonsense. After all,
creating a dedicated list for a topic that causes significant traffic on a
list in order to reduce the load on the list is quite a common practice. I
would be willing to take care of this "opensuse-kde-chat@" mailing list.

What are your thoughts on this? This has been going on for years now. I
expected that would have gone away at least with openSUSE no longer
officially having KDE3, but that's apparently not the case, so this rubbish
can keep going on for I have no idea how long.

--
Lubos Lunak
openSUSE Boosters team, KDE developer